Shin Splints - How to Avoid Them. How to Deal With Them.

admin

Guest Guest

Most often shin splints are caused by tight calf muscles (in relation to weak anterior tibialis muscles). It helps me to foam roll and stretch my calf muscles!

I've been suffering terribly from shin splints/leg pain and am watching this to get more ideas. At the moment Im trying out a few exercises I saw on Pinterest including heel walking and lift a hand weight with my feet, feels like I'm slowly making progress and recovery time form each run is getting better.

Guest laine

Hi, if you haven't already done so, go to your local running shop to get assessed and fitted for trainers as the wrong footwear could also contribute to shin splints.

Guest Guest

I agree, having the right shoes make a huge difference and helps avoid injury. I went to my local running store and found out I have a slight pronation. With the right shoes for my foot type, my running has been more comfortable and the occurance of shin splints has reduced a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Had anyone ever tried either k-tape or compression sleeves? I am curious and wanting to try one along with new shoes! Thanks!

I haven't needed a compression sleeve for shins since I got proper shoes and learned how to stretch, but did get a ACE compression "sleeve" for my knee. Has made a big difference.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...