Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WendyClarke

Week 3 frustration

3 posts in this topic

I'm new to running. I just started week 3 today and it was a struggle. I'm also running with a dog because we both need the exercise (she's overweight like me!). She walks/runs okay on the leash, until she sees another dog. That's why we have to run in the early morning. Well, today, I started off a little later than I should have and we encountered 2 dogs in their fenced in area when we were supposed to be running the 1st 90 seconds, so I only made it about 45 seconds before she started pulling me in all directions. So then we made it through the 90 second walk, then I made it through the 3 minute jog, which really shocked me. So after the 3 minute walk, you are supposed to repeat (90 seconds, then 3 minutes for jog/walk). I made it about 45 seconds and I had to walk. Then I paused the app until I knew I would be on flatter land to get through the next 3 minute jog, which I did. 

My question is - did anyone else struggle through the 90 second jog after completing the 3 minute jog?

I can say that I am really proud of myself for completing the 3 minutes. I know that doesn't seem like much for the 5K and 10K runners now, but its really amazing to me. When I got back home, I went on us.mapometer.com to measure how far I ran in that 3 minutes and I figured it out to be about a quarter mile. I know I have a ways to go to run 3 miles, but hey, I'm 1/12 of the way there. :-)

Wendy

Wendy

The week 4 is most difficult one, I consider it more difficult than W5D3. It is IMO transition from introduction to training. I would try to complete W4, even if you have to switch to walking at the end -  keep doing it.

I had to stop bringing my dog for the same reason. She wanted to socialize. As an alternative, I walk her on my non-running days. She looks at me with betrayed eyes; however, getting pulled all over the road wasn't safe or helpful to the training. As for Week 3, I start tomorrow. Fingers crossed.